Sunday 10 July 2016

BOOK REVIEW: AFTER ANNA BY ALEX LAKE


“A bone-chilling psychological thriller that will suit fans of Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, Daughter by Jane Shemilt, and The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.”

Imagine running five minutes late to pick up your little girl from school. It could happen to anyone, right? However, imagine when you get there your daughter is nowhere to be seen. Julia Crowne, mother of five-year-old Anna is absolutely beside herself to find out her only daughter has been abducted outside the school gates.

The school are informed, and quickly followed by the police. How could a little girl vanish without any witnesses? Who could have taken Anna without a trace? Although, this isn’t the worst part. Anna is eventually returned, and that’s when things REALLY get dangerous.

It’s easy to see how Lake’s fictional thriller ‘After Anna’ became ‘The No.1 eBook bestseller’. Right from the beginning of the book I was hooked. Not being a parent myself I was pleasantly surprised when I connected to the storyline as much as I did. If you’re a mother, you’ll be unable to put this book down, although It’s a mother’s worst nightmare!

“A mother’s worst nightmare!”

I was a little put off when I saw the spoiler on the blurb that Anna returns. Even the title is a dead giveaway. If you’re like me and have very little patience, this book requires a lot of it. Due to the fact you know, Anna is eventually returned, you find yourself shouting at the book “C’mon! Return her already!” However, the book is written with such craft you’ll still be on the edge of your seat. It’s hard not to experience an emotionally involved reading with this book.

After struggling to like the character of Julia – due to her ‘who gives a shit’ personality and bitter marriage - it was a surprise when she started to grow on me. A character that once seemed very cold and distant began to show her insecurities and determination to fight for her child. Her relationships with the other characters throughout the book lead to no clue as to who the abductor was, which is why this book has been so cleverly written. I can honestly say I was shocked when I found out who the abductor was, and no doubt you will be too!

Overall Anna is a mystery thriller which is well worth the read. I finished this book in three evenings as the storyline was so chilling it carried me right through the pages. If you haven’t read a book in a while and you’re looking to get back into the swing of things, definitely give this one a go.  You’ll be pleasantly surprised.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Hello Alex Grace. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig